To test the SIS Sync Client and your configuration file, you will need to setup a scheduled task on the same computer. Below are steps for setting up the SIS client to run as a scheduled task in Windows. Setting up a scheduled task will allow you to automate the upload of the data exported from your SIS on a regular basis without manually uploading.
You can setup a scheduled task to test your configuration file. When setting up the task in the Task Scheduler, you have an option to run as a "Test" or to "Submit".
When running as a "Test", the sync client will upload any exported files from the folder you've designated to the eChalk system and will not process the changes until you log into your school's eChalk web site to approve the changes. We recommend that you create a scheduled task to run as a test first before automating the submission.
Once you've confirmed that the connection to the eChalk system is working and you are able to view the data uploaded to the eChalk site, you can return to the Task Scheduler on your computer and change the task to "Submit" instead. When running as a "Submit" the SIS Sync Client will automatically pull and upload any exported file from the folder you've designated, to the eChalk system and process the changes without your approval. Hence it is recommended that you run a "Test" first to confirm that everything is working correctly.
Where To Go
On a Windows workstation where the eChalk SIS Sync Client and your district or school's SIS system is located, click on Start. In the Search bar, enter "task scheduler" and click on it from the menu.
What To Do
1. Click on Action and select Create Task
2. Enter a name for the task. For example, "eChalk SIS Upload"
3. Select "Run whether user is logged in or not"
4. Click on the Triggers tab and click New
5. Set "Begin the task:" to "On a schedule"
6. Choose to run the task:
- One time
7. Set the Start date and time for the repeating task. Set a date in the future when you'd like this process to begin.
8. Click OK.
9. Click on the Actions tab
10. Click New
11. Select Start a Program
12. Click Browse and navigate to the bulk-upload-client-win-184.108.40.206-RC folder that the sync client is located in on the computer, and click on the bin folder
13. Select the bulk-upload-client.bat file
14. In the "Add arguments" field, type in test
15. Click OK.
16. Click OK. You will be prompted to enter your password for the computer. Enter your password and click OK
17. Click on the Task Scheduler Library on the left side of the task scheduler
18. Scroll down to locate the task you've created on the list, right click it and select Run to start the test
Note: At this point you should log into your district or school's web site and confirm if a file has been uploaded by logging in, clicking on the school tile, clicking on Members, clicking on User Admin, clicking on Bulk Management and checking the Upload History. You can also confirm by checking the logs folder within the bulk-upload-client-win-220.127.116.11-RC folder and checking the apps file to see the date and time of your last upload.
19. Once you have confirmed that the SIS Sync Client is uploading to your eChalk site, then return to the task scheduler, right click the task and select Properties
20. Select the action listed and click Edit
21. Change the Add Arguments field in the Actions tab to from "test" to "submit" instead
22. Click OK
23. Click OK. You will be prompted to enter your password for the computer once more and enter your password and click OK.